EST. 1989
Call Us Free: 1-319-396-2410

Family Law



The attorneys at Howes Law Firm, P.C. handle a variety of family law matters. Please review the following to see if you need representation. Whether you have been served with papers or would like to meet with an attorney regarding the details of a matter, feel free to contact our office to set up your free initial consultation. You can call 319-396-2410 or send an Email and our office will contact you.

The following attorneys specialize in Family Law cases: Barb Connolly, Dawn Long, Casey RigdonJase Jensen, and Steve Howes.


Our attorneys work closely with families to make the process of adoption a smooth one. They will explain the procedures for adoption and work to complete the appropriate steps in order to legally establish custodial rights. Barb Connolly specializes in adoption cases.

Attorney and Guardian Ad Litem for Minor

In some court actions, minors or other parties are involved and need representation by an attorney. The attorneys at Howes Law Firm, P.C. will make sure that the client’s best interests are made clear to the Court. Some actions that may include a Guardian Ad Litem (GAL) include guardianships, conservatorships or an action in which one of the parties involved is incarcerated. Barb Connolly specializes in these cases.

Child/Medical Support

Support for a child can be separately assigned through the Child Support Recovery Unit, rather than through a divorce or custody matter. Our attorneys can help you understand the child support forms and paperwork and work with you through the process of paying or receiving child support.


Contempt of court is when a party to a family law matter is non-compliant with the orders of the Court. If you believe an opposing party is in contempt of court, our attorneys will apply for review of the contempt allegations and determination of the consequences of any contempt.

If you have been accused of being in contempt of court, the attorneys at Howes Law Firm, P.C. will take the time to review the circumstances of your situation, argue for any injustices on you and strive for fair consequences for any possible contempt judgment.


If you would like to legally establish paternity, custody and a visitation arrangement for your child or children, the attorneys at Howes Law Firm, P.C. will be there for you. Some of the matters that are resolved through a custody action are child legal custody and physical care, visitation (alternate care) and child and/or medical support.

Dissolution of Marriage

Dissolution of marriage, more commonly called a divorce, is a difficult process for couples and the divorce attorneys at Howes Law Firm, P.C. will help guide you through it as smoothly as possible. Some of the matters that are resolved through divorce are child legal custody and physical care, visitation (alternate care), child and medical support, spousal support (alimony) and equitable division of property.

Domestic Abuse

If you are in a situation of domestic abuse and concerned for your safety, our firm will fight to protect your welfare and request that a permanent protective order be established.

If you are being accused of domestic violence, our attorneys will meet with you to determine the circumstances of the case and help protect you against any unjust allegations by challenging and requesting dismissal of any protective order applied.

Attorney Dawn Long has training specific to domestic violence law.


In mediation, you and your spouse meet with a neutral third party, the mediator, and with their help, you work through the issues you need to resolve so the two of you can end your marriage as amicably and cost effectively as possible. Our mediation attorney, Dawn Long  will meet with you and your spouse to assist in mediation.


Sometimes the final stipulations set out in a divorce or custody action aren’t applicable or practical anymore (change in circumstances) and a modification of those terms needs to occur. Common modifications include custody (legal and physical care), visitation and child and/or medical support.

Name Change

Do you or someone in your custody desire a name change? If so, the attorneys at Howes Law Firm, P.C. will help you with the process of petitioning for and completing a change of name.

Post Dissolution

If you have already been divorced but require the preparation of post-dissolution documents, such as a Qualified Domestic Relations Order or Quit Claim Deed, the attorneys at Howes Law Firm, P.C. will review your needs and prepare the documents for completion of any matter related to your divorce.

Prenuptial Agreement

If you would like to establish an agreement with your soon-to-be spouse regarding rights of property and survivorship, our attorneys are willing to sit down with you to work out and prepare the exact specifications for the prenuptial agreement.

Separation Agreement

A separation agreement is appropriate for those couples who wish to continue being married but prefer to live independently of each other with legal orders by the Court concerning matters such as assets, debts, child custody, visitation and support.


Print Friendly